sshd not working since compiling kernel

Hi,

I've just recompiled kernel 2.6.8 to move siimage to a module and remove the initrd functionality.

Everything works fine except for sshd which now is bouncing connects just responding with a "connection closed" error. I've tried from a remote machine on the same subnet and from the local machine with ssh 127.0.0.1. hosts.allow / deny look fine and there are no messages in the logs that I can find. This is with a current stable install.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Steve

--