Re: In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Thinking again about this: an hotplug udeb is not be strictly needed,
> because current versions of udev already provide the hotplug multiplexer.
>
> The hotplug package currently provides:
> - a firmware loader hotplug agent
> - support for hotplug of network devices
> - coldplug (hardware detection and loading the drivers)
>
> I think that d-i actually needs only the first item, and since it's not
> critical for many devices I will deal with it later.
> So the next udev-udeb package will not depend anymore on hotplug-udeb.

The idea is to possibly switch d-i to using hotplug for all (or at least
most) hardware detection, so that the installer and installed systems do
not detect hardware in different ways that cause incompatabilities. For
that to work we'd need at least coldplug support and proper hotplug
wouldn't hurt.

For example, this is a code fragment from d-i's existing hw-detect which
has been patched with the hotplug support from ubuntu for a while:

if [ "$HOTPLUG_TYPE" = real ]; then
        /lib/debian-installer/coldplug
fi

(Not sure why it's in /lib/debian-installer in this example)

--
see shy jo