Re: In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

On Monday 12 September 2005 03:23, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> 2. What changes need to be done to integrate a new initrd-generating
> tool into the kernel packaging infrastracture. It might be as simple as
> switching the postinst of kernel packages from running mkinitrd to
> running yaird. I have no idea what issues may arise in d-i because of
> that.

The major issue for d-i with 2.6.13 is the dropped devfs support. However,
there already is support for udev in d-i; what's currently missing is a
udeb for hotplug. What we have was backported by Colin Watson from
Ubuntu; for hotplug we can probably do the same.
This needs to be resolved before 2.6.13 can enter unstable and we can
start on this as soon as we have a new beta for d-i based on the 2.6.12
kernels (which has of course been waiting for 2.6.12 to enter testing and
the major transitions to settle down somewhat). We can start work on the
beta as soon as daily CD building is back up.

initrdfs is a separate issue, and really two issues.
- The kernel packages to be used for installation using initrdfs should
  have only minor impact on d-i. We should be able to add support for that
  in base-installer without too much trouble if we know the correct
  dependencies.

- We do however assume we can keep on using the oldfashioned initrd
  support for booting d-i, so it would be nice if you were not too quick
  in disabling/modularizing needed filesystem support in kernel configs
  for 2.6.13.
  We do intend to switch to initrdfs for d-i itself in the long run as it
  appears to offer more flexibility (loading multiple cpio archives to
  "extend" a basic initial initrd). However, that will be a fairly major
  project. IIRC Jeff Bailey has some thoughts on that.

Cheers,
FJP