Re: In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Andres Salomon wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:23:25PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As you probably know, the 2.6.13 kernel is out, and we are facing some problems
> > with packaging it for Debian. A major change compared to 2.6.12 is the
> > discontinued support for devfs, which, I understand, renders current
> > initrd-tools unusable. As I see it, there are two major problems which need to
> [...]
>
> Talk to jbailey before making any decisions about this, as he has the best
> grasp on initramfs.  I believe maks was also working on this.  I'm told that
> there are currently some issues with other archs and initramfs (ie, oopsing
> during boot), but this is to be expected as we (debian) will probably be
> using it on untested platforms.  It's broken on sparc, at least..
>
> FWIW, I'm all for initramfs; it moves logic/magic out of kernelspace into
> userspace, and sounds like it will allow us much more flexibility wrt
> early userspace stuff.

klibc is about to be uploaded to the archive,
was rejected due to minor build issues.
(as bonus will integrate newer upstream)

as next step an initramfs-tools upload is planed for that week.

--
maks

ps we could simply reenable devfs in 2.6.13,
as only the Makefile snippet was removed,
but that's not a long-term option so better have our newer tools tested.