Re: In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:23:25PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you probably know, the 2.6.13 kernel is out, and we are facing some problems
> with packaging it for Debian. A major change compared to 2.6.12 is the
> discontinued support for devfs, which, I understand, renders current
> initrd-tools unusable. As I see it, there are two major problems which need to
[...]

Talk to jbailey before making any decisions about this, as he has the best
grasp on initramfs.  I believe maks was also working on this.  I'm told that
there are currently some issues with other archs and initramfs (ie, oopsing
during boot), but this is to be expected as we (debian) will probably be
using it on untested platforms.  It's broken on sparc, at least..

FWIW, I'm all for initramfs; it moves logic/magic out of kernelspace into
userspace, and sounds like it will allow us much more flexibility wrt
early userspace stuff.