Re: how to detect a debian kernel from `uname -r`

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 03:04:06AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 09:42:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Also, your list is bogus, debian supports actually 12 architectures, and you
> > > only list x86 flavours.
> >
> > Mmm, rereading me this sounds a bit too aggresive, which was not my intention,
>
> The reason klive don't list all 12 archs is primarly because there are
> no klive users coming from all those 12 archs. See the unknown list.

How does klive work anyway ? Do you use it by having people have it installed
and report data ? If so, you may look into the popularity context package ?

> If you can improve this regexp (which seems the way to go for now)
> you're very welcome:
>
> 	'Debian' : re.compile(r'^(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)(?:-git(\d+)|\.(\d+)|-rc(\d+))?-(\d+)-(?:[3456]86|k7|generic|amd64-k8)')
>
> Right now I only added the basics to catch the most frequent archs in
> klive unknown listing, it's true I can't catch all 12 archs if somebody
> would be running klive on top of them.

Well, i guess i would not do it like you do ? Why have only a single regext,
instead of a case switch for example, or better yet two case switches, one
matching uname -m, and then going for uname -r.

I still think you are taking the wrong approach here, maybe you shouild
propose a speacial patch, which each distribution could apply and fill a data
with distribution info, and which would then appear in /proc/version, and not
try to get distributions to polute the version namespace.

Notice also, that on a debian system, you may find the exact sert of patches
applied in : /usr/src/patches :)

> Since the ubuntu kernel seems to be very different from debian kernel, I
> wonder how I can detect it with uname -r, I guess I can't right now.

Like said, wrong approach.

> Anyway klive was made primarly for mainline, so I don't care that much
> if I can't differentiate between debian and ubuntu.

Well, i even doubt it will work well for mainline, since people can and will
modify the version to suite them best, or apply a random set of patches.