Re: how to detect a debian kernel from `uname -r`

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:16:38PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to detect a debian kernel from uname -r.
>
> My suggestion would be to add a "-debian" at the end of the localversion
> of kernels _patched_/modified by debian, and to leave the localversion
> completely _empty_ (or an unchanged localversion compared to the
> mainline defconfig) for unmodified mainline kernels shipped by debian
> (if you ship them in the first place).

Not a good idea. Why clutter the namespace of versions in order to adapt to
non-debian needs. ? What is it you intent to do anyway ?

> I also wonder how to detect ubuntu kernels, perhaps they're the same as
> debian I don't know. If they're the same from a sourcecode standpoint
> then I guess it's better to call them "-debian" too at the end of the
> extraversion.

The ubuntu kernel is similar but different.

What about :

 more /proc/version
 Linux version 2.6.12-1-powerpc (waldi@trick) (gcc version 4.0.2 20050806
 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.1-4)) #1 Tue Aug 16 20:08:54 UTC 2005