Re: modules

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 05:45:15PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> Of course, doing something similar in the kernel team would have a
> significant number of negative aspects.  The kernel team would become
> the de facto maintainers for these modules.

For the modules, not for the sources.

>                                              Not only would the
> maintenance overhead add extra load, but we'd have to deal with rc bugs
> in these modules keeping us from migrating into testing, etc.

We have that problem with both versions. The modules depends against the
images and if one part is buggy, the whole thing can't go in.

If we are the maintainer of the binary modules we can decide to drop
them in the case of unreponsive maintainer

> But.. is there a way to do something similar and avoid these problems?
> Like maybe a kernel-modules-outoftree source package that build-deps on
> all current source?

This was the idea.

Bastian

--
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.
		-- Kirk, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8