3.1 Sarge kernel 2.4 kernel boots Ok, 2.6 fails to detect IDEs.

Hello,

I installed Sarge on a trusty 3 year old PC a while back and all works
fine.
I bought a new PC the other day. P4 3.0G with 64Bit extensions.
I tried the install of the 2.6. kernel and the CD/DVD was not detected.
Looking back through dmesg there was stuff about ide ports already in
use - rubbish.
I rebooted with the 2.4. kernel and the Pioneer CD/DVD was detected
fine, likewise the SATA HD.
I noticed the people who assembled it attached the CD/DVD to IDE0 and
the HD to IDE1 - thus the CD/DVD comes out on /dev/hda and the HD
on /dev/hdc.
Is this in itself a problem?
Has anyone seen this b4?
What more info is needed to track down the root cause and get the 2.6
kernel to work?

Thanks,
Regards,
James.

P.S.  Please CC me in the response.  I'm not a list member.
P.P.S I've been playing recompiling the kernel and haven't got that to
go *yet* either.  It compiles alright but has similar (not the same)
difficulties detecting the IDE hardware.