kernel panic

Hi all,

My scsi hard disk on debian 3.0  throws errors about
"end_quest: i/o errors ". I logged in as root and ran
e2fsck command to fix the bad sectors. After that
command, I got " reiserfs_read_super can not find
reiserfs on sd (8:1),
Kernel panic VFS, fs can not be mounted" on the boot.

I tried boot from bootdisk and did not fix the
problem.

Is reformatting the hard disk only way to solve the
problem? Please help. I do not want lose the
customized configuration on this debian box. :(

-Amy