Re: linux-2.6 - patches

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Bastian Blank wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:48:32AM -0400, Jurij Smakov wrote:
- Always specify correct -m32/-m64.

Is there any practical reason to do that?

Look at the amd64 packages.

Can't see anything special. They are just using the gcc-4.0, as far as i can tell...

                                          As I understand, currently
kernel-package takes care of that, so I'd rather see the compiler checks
moved there.

make-kpkg can't do that properly.

Well, it does now, doesn't it? And I would rather see the changes go into the kernel-package, because if we'll start to fiddle too much with the compiler options, it will be harder for the users to build the "correct" images just using linux-source.

- Always build asm-offsets.s in the prepare target.

There is currently no prepare target in debian/rules. Can you give some
more details?

Look into arch/$(ARCH)/Makefile.

              Anything that will make the situation with asm-offsets.s is,
of course, welcome.

This file needs to be included into the headers package.

It is currently included. However as it is only created during the kernel image build, we have to check after building every flavour and copy it in place, if necessary. This is done in build-stamp-$(subarch)-% target in debian/Makefile. What do you have in mind?

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org