Re: Need Pointers on Documentation on Creating UDEB for Debian Sarge

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 08:44 -0700, Allyn, MarkX A wrote:
> Based on some answers you have given to me, it appears that I need
> to come up with a udeb package for the three module files (.ko) files
> that I need to load (or perhaps three separate udeb packages). I also
> need to come up with a regular .deb file that can be installed into the
> running kernel after it is installed.

Sounds correct.

> I also understand that the kernel that the installer first boots up on
> is not the same as the kernel that is installed on the final system.

Correct, though they should currently be binary compatible (i.e., same
modules should load under both).
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKernelABIChanges

> I tried Googling, but I have had very little luck. Where can I get
> information on building udebs against the installer/installer kernel
> that is used in the stable (Sarge) release?

I've yet to see someone build their own udebs;
linux-kernel-di-<arch>-2.6 is used to build udebs for 2.6 kernels.  You
can apt-get source that if you wanna see how it works.  However, your
build will probably be much simpler.

> I presume as these are driver packages that I will also need the source
> for the version of the kernel that is used as well.

You'll probably just need the headers.  apt-get install
kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386, for example. (Don't know what arch you're
on).

> Or is the installer kernel the same as the running kernel (the
> 2.6.8-2-386
> for Debian Sarge, with different .config files? If so, where do I get
> the
> different .config files? If it is different, where do I get the sources?

If you really want the sources, they can be installed with
apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8.  If you need to roll back to an
older version (like possibly the one used in d-i), you can use
kernel-tree to do it:
  http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKernelTree

> Once I make the udeb package files, how do I put them on a Driver Update
> CD? Is there any special structure for that CD or floppy?

I can give you hints on how to add them, but I don't know what causes
them to be installed into d-i's runtime.  That's a question for the d-i
folks, which is probably already described in documentation in their
build tree.