Re: 2.6.12 upload

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Bastian Blank wrote:

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:39:55PM +0300, Andres Salomon wrote:
Hm, anything I'm forgetting?

- The scripts dir in the linux-headers package must match the flavour.

The problem here is that some architectures (s390, powerpc and mips) are using two different ELF formats, depending on the options in kernel config file. So, building different flavours for s390, for example, will produce two different (incompatible) sets of executables in scripts/ subdir. As we are currently including scripts/ directory only in the arch-common headers package, that will be broken on the architectures. A simple solution: include scripts/ subdirectory into the flavour-specific headers package. Probably, it makes sense to do it only for architectures which actually need that. I'll check what I can cook up.

- The descriptions are wrong for non-i386.

I am not too happy with how the decscription stuff turned out. I think that the boilerplate descriptions should be generated only if the custom descriptions are not provided, and there should be a Makefile.inc variable controlling it. I suggest that support for custom descriptions be restored.

- Dependencies with arch spec for one-arch packages.

Right, the control file is full of the packages with control fields like this:

Architecture: powerpc
Depends: initrd-tools (>= 0.1.78), coreutils | fileutils (>= 4.0), module-init-tools (>= 0.9.13), e2fsprogs (>= 1.35-7) [amd64], palo [hppa], mkvmlinuz [powerpc]

The non-powerpc dependencies will probably not break anything, but introduce a lot of additional clutter. I understand that it's easier that way, but having only relevant dependencies listed would be cleaner. And, to improve readability, it would be nice to have all the control file generation logic moved to a separate script, which may be called from the
the rules file.

- linux-headers-.*-all is no dummy package.

As Bastian pointed out, currently this package does not build. I can implement it and adjust the description.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org