Re: renaming linux-kernel source package

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:46:46 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 04:40:04PM +0300, Andres Salomon wrote:
>>   * Older kernels get removed; no need to ask for manual removal of
>>     linux-kernel-2.6.12 after 2.6.13 becomes available for all archs.
>>     However, we lose the ability to have multiple 2.6's in a release,
>>     which sounds like a win to me; we shouldn't be doing multiple 2.6
>>     releases anymore anyways, the security team has made it clear they
>>     don't want to support multiple kernels, and it would be extra pressure
>>     for all archs to keep up.
>
> And we can't upload a new kernel until it builds on any arch. Do you
> realy want to force some arches out of the subproject?

Not at all; we won't be able to get a kernel into testing until it builds
on all archs.  We'll be able to upload a new kernel at any time; it may
FTBFS on s390, at which point someone will have to fix it.  Note that this
is the case with single-source packaging anyways; this just makes it so
that we won't keep around older kernels just because they support a
certain architecture.

Also note that (at the request of svenl), the new packaging supports
subarchs; that is, patches to the main kernel source that don't get
applied on every architecture.  I still have reservations about people
abusing this, but it should allow for architectures with huge patches
against mainline (ie, mips' 2MB 2.6.12 diff that ths pointed me at) to be
able to keep up-to-date without negatively affecting the other archs.