Re: Linux kernel and packages providing kernel-source

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

Hi all,

The Linux kernel source packages are all providing a virtual package
called kernel-source, so that other packages such as kernel patches can
depend on them. The freebsd kernel (kfreebsd5-source) was recently
included in Debian (mainly for the GNU/kFreeBSd port) and also provides
kernel-source.

This seems to confuse the users (what I understand) as we received a bug
telling that aptitude proposes to install kfreebsd5-source when installing
a kernel-patch.

That's why we've deciced to provide the freebsd-kernel-source virtual
package instead of kernel-source.

I think it would be nice that the Linux kernel-source packages follow this
policy, and thus provide linux-kernel-source. I don't say all package
should be reuploaded, but maybe in a first time, the newest uploads could
provide both kernel-source and linux-kernel-source, and the kernel patches
depends on kernel-source | linux-kernel-source. Then in a second time it
would be possible to remove references to kernel-source.

I would like to have your comments on that.

Bye,
Aurelien

Hi Aurelien,

The kernel team is currently planning a transition to a different naming and packaging scheme. Anticipating the inclusion of freebsd and hurd kernels into the distribution we have pretty much agreed that future kernel packages are going to be called linux-source, linux-headers, linux-image and so on. It would be nice if you could adopt the same naming scheme for freebsd packages (freebsd-source, freebsd-image, etc). It will then be consistent everywhere and will allow to avoid the namespace clashes.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org