Re: IDE drivers

On Saturday 04 June 2005 01:58, maximilian attems <debian@sternwelten.at>
wrote:

> > > i don't agree.
> >
> > What do you disagree about?  Do you believe that the Debian kernels will
> > support DMA on all IDE devices?  Do you believe that without DMA good
> > performance will be delivered?
>
> on some machines where i hadn't dma by default.
> hdparm easily enabled it. and these were only few boxes.

I found that hdparm would not enable it on my machines.  If the driver was not
compiled as module then the kernel code would determine that DMA was not a
supported feature and prevent it from being ever used.

The machines I tested on were an older Thinkpad and an old AMD Athlon system.
Probably the same kernel worked well on many other machines (especially on
SCSI machines).  But the machines I tested on are not that uncommon.

> > > but your waving is definetly a bit late in that release game...
> >
> > I posted to the list as soon as I noticed the problem.
> >
> > As the Debian kernels are apparently going to remain unusable for me I
> > won't be testing them much in future.  So the next time there's a bug of
> > this nature you shouldn't be expecting any advance notice from me.
>
> you may want try the 2.6.11 from unstable there the ide patch got
> reworked. anyway you are free to use what'ever fits you.

Sure everyone can use whatever they want.  But it's generally convenient if
people use the kernel binary that ships with their distribution.  That means
that bugs in the kernels will get noticed sooner, and also compatability
issues with distribution kernels and user-space code can get fixed.