Bug#311941: kernel-patch-debian-2.6.11: Package description says "patch does not apply to pristine sources", which doesn't seem to be the case
- To: email@example.com, Johannes Rohr <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Bug#311941: kernel-patch-debian-2.6.11: Package description says "patch does not apply to pristine sources", which doesn't seem to be the case
- From: dann frazier <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:14:45 -0600
- Message-id: <1117905285.17908.14.camel@localhost>
- Reply-to: dann frazier <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <E1DeXBb-0003Zf-NI@rudi.3linden>
- References: <E1DeXBb-0003Zf-NI@rudi.3linden>
On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 13:51 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> I am surprised by the package description which says:
> Note that these patches do NOT apply
> against a pristine Linux 2.6.11 kernel but only against
> kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11.orig.tar.gz from the Debian archive.
> In fact, the patch applies to a pristine source without any errors.
Maybe it should say "Note that these patches are not intended to apply
to a pristine"...
Anyone object to me making this change?
> well, until today I thought that the kernel-patch-debian packages
> actually do contain the differences between the vanilla sources and
> Debian's kernel sources.
They contain the differences between the
kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11.orig.tar.gz and Debian's kernel sources. The
important point here is that kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11.orig.tar.gz is
not the same as linux-2.6.11.tar.gz. The differences are primarily due
to the removal of non-redistributable files. These patches may apply
cleanly to a vanilla linux tarball, but this is purely coincidental and