Re: broadcom proposed firmware licence, please comment ...

Under US law as I understand it (IANAL), the text in my follow-up to
Andres's QLogic thread is cleaner.  I would not recommend pretending
that the embedded firmware image is exclusively "data"; it is a
separately copyrighted work whose bytes are treated as data by the
driver.  The driver is part of the "literary or artistic work" known
as Linux kernel, the firmware image is not.

Cheers,
- Michael