Re: Kernel Security Updates for Sarge

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 06:00:15PM +0900, Horms wrote:

> > > mips/mipsel uses the kernel-source package as build dependency
> > > instead of kernel-tree.

> > > [snip]
> > > [snip]

> > > mips/mipsel has four additional changes which should go in sarge:
> > > - Fix broken ptrace
> > > - Fix Cobalt PCI bridge initialisation
> > > - Work around crashes on Cobalt under I/O load
> > > - Fix crash on startup on serial-less Cobalts

> > All of which seem to be out of scope in a discussion about security uploads,
> > don't they?

> Can someone claify if the scope for r1 updates is broader than
> just security. That is, can fixes like this go into r1?
> I beleive there are quite a few critical, but non-security bugs
> floating around.

That would also be for Joey to clarify, of course, as the SRM; but my
biggest concern is that we start to have security fixes in place for the
kernel before r*0*, so that people can grab them immediately after
installing.

What goes into proposed-updates is fairly irrelevant to that, since we don't
encourage users to add proposed-updates to their sources.list.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer