Re: ABI-changing kernel security fixes for sarge

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:09:42PM +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > How big is the chance that we will have another ABI change during
> > sarge's lifetime (100%?). So it can't hurd to figure out the problems
> > with that now independently of our decision in this matter...

I'd say the probability is about 99.999999999999%, fwiw.

> Absolutely.  It's bound to happen again.  We also need to figure out
> how to do driver updates during sarge's lifetime.  I suspect virtually
> everybody has had the experience of trying to install woody on a new PC.
> Some of the problems I remember:

For this I have suggested to use a semi-official / unofficial
repository for the installer and kernels.  I agree that there should
be some way to support new hardware, but it doesn't have to be in the
main archive of ftp.debian.org, imho.

Maybe backports.org/d-i/ would be a proper place, maybe not.

> Either that, or we need to commit to a 6-month release goal for etch and
> future releases.  Which wouldn't suck, we used to do it...

We should probably stick to a 6-month release goal anyway and achieve
12-months...

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.