Re: ABI-changing kernel security fixes for sarge

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 03:39:02AM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > My idea would be to have a mechanism for loading modules earlier, and
> > move the initrd initialization as early as possible, and load modules
> > from there even before we do stuff like serial console setup or
> > framebuffer setup.
> >
> > But this is probably something for etch too.
> >

> Jeff Bailey has been doing work w/ initramfs.  If we switch to this,
> post-sarge, it will allow us to have much cleaner initialization, and more
> intelligent, as well.  Instead of a mess of initrd shell scripts, and
> magic initialization crud, we can have proper (small C) programs built
> against klibc.  The setup that I've seen has been initializing networking
> from within the initramfs image, and mounting / over nfs.  Rather nifty
> stuff.  We could probably have a proper initialization via modules, where
> the proper fbdev modules get loaded first, followed by the rest of the
> initialization; without dealing w/ the initrd mess.  Something to
> consider.  We'll have to play w/ it some more.

Well, yes, this is all fine, but we need something to load modules from the
initrd from inside the kernel itself, namely the serial-console and fbdev
drivers or anything else which provides visual output. Having no output until
the initrd comes up and initialialises the fbdev driver is no option.