Re: kernel 2.6.10 upgrade and ide drives go missing

I know nothing about build environments being in /tmp.. is this a joke? What I don't understand is why initrd would not include ide-generic and ide-disk modules. Aren't those the modules used to for ide drives which are most users setups?

Anyways I mounted my initrd.img-2.6.10-1-k7 image and the file loadmodules contained the following:
modprobe -k  scsi_mod
modprobe -k  sd_mod
modprobe -k  libata
modprobe -k  sata_sil
modprobe -k  ext3
modprobe -k  vesafb > /dev/null 2>&1
modprobe -k  fbcon 2> /dev/null
modprobe -k  unix 2> /dev/null

I also mounted my 2.6.8 initrd image and it contained the same information. Now I don't need these modules to boot linux because my root image is on my SATA drive that is loaded with sata_sil. Should hotplug or discover then take care of loading these modules?

I'm also using grub not lilo. I know i could fix this by adding these modules to the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file and remaking my initrd image, but shouldn't these modules be loaded automatically?

I'm going to reboot and take a long look at dmesg to see if I see any errors.