Re: rc3 timeline

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:45:45PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> > Holes that do not effect the installer enough to require an immediate
> > update can be dealt with more slowly, we can let the fixed kernel debs
> > get enough testing so we know they're solid before updating the
> > installer, and we can even wait until the next major release of the
> > installer to update it. The only additional concern might be GPL issues
> > with the module binaries being out of sync.

> Ok, that sounds sensible. Could you elaborate on what you mean by GPL
> issues. Are you talking about exported symbols and their GPL status?

This is in reference to the GPL requirements for distributing full source
alongside any binaries, which is a bit tricky when we're building kernel
udebs separately from the kernel debs and there's a possibility for them to
get out-of-sync.

AIUI, the kernel-source and per-arch kernel source packages are carefully
crafted such that a new revision of the kernel-source package doesn't
prevent one from continuing using it to produce idempotent kernel-image
packages based on the previous Debian revision.  There's no such safeguard
preventing skew between kernel-image-$version-$arch and
linux-kernel-di-$arch.

> >  1. kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc has not made it to testing yet. I think
> >     kernel-latest-2.4-sparc is preventing it, since that package depends
> >     on things like kernel-headers-2.4.27-1-sparc64

> This has an explicit dependancy on kernel-tree-2.4.27-8 (as it should),
> so I guess uploading kernel-tree-2.4.27-9 would block it.

Not at all:

Package: kernel-tree-2.4.27
Version: 2.4.27-8
Provides: kernel-tree-2.4.27-1, kernel-tree-2.4.27-2, kernel-tree-2.4.27-3, kernel-tree-2.4.27-4, kernel-tree-2.4.27-5, kernel-tree-2.4.27-6, kernel-tree-2.4.27-7, kernel-tree-2.4.27-8, kernel-tree-2.4.27-8.mine, kernel-tree-2.4.27-8.r2289, kernel-tree-2.4.27-8.r2298

Perfectly by design...

> >  2. kernel-image-2.4.27-arm hasn't quite made it to testing yet either
> >     (should today)
> >  3. the powerpc 2.4.27 kernel still isn't updated either, and is
> >     close to the point of not having an update included in rc3 at all.

> These packages do not have such a restrictive dependancy, so they would
> be fine. Though I think that is a bug in there packaging.

Well, *that* may actually be a problem in terms of reproducibility of the
build and GPL source requirements, so maybe someone should verify what arm
and powerpc do with kernel-source patchlevels prior to release...

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer