Re: <rant> Vendors and kernel driver source that will not compile with Debian </rant>

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:55:53 +0900, Horms wrote:

>Because stuff in the kernel changes all the time.
>The internal APIs change for one reason or another.
>And when a distrubition pulls in a set of patches
>for whatever reason, the API can change, so you
>get these kind of compile problems.
>
>Not fun, but true. Its not really the fault of the distrubutions,
>just the nature of the beast?

Then I see no way for the vendor to be true in saying their source will compile
on such a range of distros / versions with 2.6x kernels.

For example, their makefile was calling to use a var TOPDIR which we did some
searching and found is deprecated. Now, I DOUBT RedHat and SuSE go to the
trouble to keep putting TOPDIR back in their 2.6.x kernel source and Debian
does not.

We are talking about the MegaRAID ATA133 card from LSI Logic / also used in
some Compaq servers. Though the driver is GPL'ed it contains a binary library,
thus I believe the reason for its exclusion from being a kernel driver. (Don't
totally follow that logic since LSI GPL'ed it - maybe the kernel folks truly
are picky eaters for what they will include)

I will check on getting the latest compiler grumbles posted.

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/