Re: preempt on/off i386

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 19:45 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> can i turn off CONFIG_PREEMPT on the 386 arch,
> it's the only arch that features the costly: CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> all other debian arch turn it off for good.
>
> don't know of any big distribution that turns it on.
> for audio freaks it's not enough they be better of with
> ingo's rt patches, others may observe random system behaviour.

I pointed this out on IRC, but just to make sure it hits the list...
Turning of PREEMPT will change the module ABI.  ia64 also has PREEMPT
turned on in 2.6.8 (following suit w/ x86), and I've left it on for this
reason.

If this is considered worth another ABI change, then I'll disable
PREEMPT on ia64 as well.

--
dann frazier <dannf@dannf.org>