Re: Two gcc on the same machine - how to use one when needed?

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 12:56 -0800, Drasko Draskovic wrote:
> I had problem compiling 2.4.18 vanilla kernel. I am
> currently using gcc-3.3. I was wondering is there a
> way to have two compilers on the same machine (I
> suppose apt-get gcc-2.95 would do the job), and then
> switch between them elegantly when needed. Gentoo has
> a cute tool called gcc-config. Is there something like
> this in Debian?
> How to switch between compilers?

This topic is better suited for a debian-user list - see
http://lists.debian.org.

/usr/bin/gcc is a symlink to the current default gcc version.
If you have gcc-2.95 installed, you can force your kernel build to use
it by setting the CC variable to /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 in the toplevel
Makefile.