Re: kernel problems with DVD drive

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Dan Hartropp wrote:

> I am installing Debian 3.0r3 on a Panasonic Toughbook
> CF-27. The install of the base system went fine with
> both ide-pci and bf2.4 flavours of the kernel, booting
> from a removable DVD drive.

you may have better luck with the new debian-installer:
-> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
install reports always welcome afterwards for debian-boot.

> I am having problems when i use the DVD drive
> intensively, e.g. using Dselect etc. I get the
> following error message...
>
> hdc : packet command error : error=0x51 {DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error}
> hdc : cdrom_decode_status : error 0x30
> hdc : ATAPI reset complete
>
> The DVD drive is a Panasonic CF-VDD271 (detected by
> the kernel as a MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8171).
>
> Is this likely to be faulty hardware or is it a known
> kernel bug?

could be an ide driver problem or a faulty hardware.
anyway you won't get much support for the old 2.4.18
kernel used in these installer.

hope that helps + best wishes
maks