Re: Why does do_bootloaded default to no in /etc/kernel-img.conf?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:20:51 +1000, Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org> said:

> Hi, I've found it rather vexing that I've needed to run update-grub
> explicitly after installing a new kernel on systems that I've
> recently installed.

> Today, I finally looked into the matter.

> So on a system that doesn't have an /etc/kernel-img.conf, the
> postinst of the first kernel-image package installed creates one
> with some default values. This is fair enough.

> My question is: what is the rationale behind setting the
> do_bootloader variable to a default of no?

	Because just adding the file for symbolic link handling should
 not change the booting setup.  In any case, update grub needs to be
 hooked into the boot process, the postinst shall not call update-grub
 even if you change the do_bootloader variable, it shall try and call
 lilo (see why we should not do this by default in the postsinst of
 the kernel-image?)

     manoj
--
I'd rather just believe that it's done by little elves running around.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>