Why does do_bootloaded default to no in /etc/kernel-img.conf?

Hi,

I've found it rather vexing that I've needed to run update-grub explicitly
after installing a new kernel on systems that I've recently installed.

Today, I finally looked into the matter.

So on a system that doesn't have an /etc/kernel-img.conf, the postinst of
the first kernel-image package installed creates one with some default
values. This is fair enough.

My question is: what is the rationale behind setting the do_bootloader
variable to a default of no?

Should perhaps d-i create a default kernel-img.conf based on whether or
not a bootloader was installed?

regards

Andrew

--