Re: Dropping 386 support

Steve Langasek wrote:
> The d-i images really need to be built from kernel-image packages that
> are in the archive at the time we ship.  Optimizing for 486 isn't a very
> good reason on its own to force another kernel build cycle.

I had not even considered the impact of changing the optimisation, only
of changing the package name. Steve's right, and we'd have to test the
new build too. Also, doesn't optimising for 486 slow things down more
than the current 386 builds on non-486 machines? The 386 build is
installed whenever we cannot guess the right processor to optimise for.
It's also installed all the time when the common netinst CD image is
used, since we can only fit on kernel image on that CD.

--
see shy jo