Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:55:20PM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> |Fabio Massimo di Nitto wrote:
> |> - - the second one is slightly more dynamic and it involves the
> |> addition ~  of the udebs to the control file at build time, but
> |> they are still arch specific.
> |>
> |> So at the end you get nothing more than what you had before, just
> |> from the same source.
> |
> | Which i was led to believe that the packaging tools could not cope
> | with 6 month or so ago. Maybe i am wrong though ?
>
> I am not really sure what you are talking about, but we have packages
> in the archive generating way more binaries that what this solution does.

Fabio, the point is that all the packages that *might* be generated on
any architecture (not just the current build architecture) have to go
into the .dsc's Binary: line. Some time back this broke a hard-coded
limit in woody's apt, and thereby broke upgrades from woody to sarge for
anyone who tried to use deb-src lines referencing sarge before they'd
got apt upgraded. That's one of the reasons we decided to split out the
various linux-kernel-di-$ARCH packages.

Cheers,