Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

Sven Luther wrote:

| On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:35:03AM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
| wrote:

|> Hi everybody, ~    right last week i have been asked to merge the
|> linux-kernel-di-* packages directly into the kernel-source (that
|> in Ubuntu we call linux-source) so that all the different binary
|> packages are built from one and only one source. Basically
|> killing kernel-image packages (that was done a few months back)
|> and now linux-kernel-di-*
|>
|> The resulting diff of the merge (based on our linux-source) can
|> be found here:
|

| You can do this in ubuntu only because you have only 2-3 arches to
| worry about,

The model can be adapted. I am not pushing a patch to force our
solution, but to give back the code that has been done and tested.
It is up to the 2 teams to decide what to do with it.
Clearly applying it to 11 arch is technically possible, it of course
require more coordinations between people, and that is something
nobody can give you with a patch ;)

| and are thus not limited by the number of packages the packaging
| tools can handle, right ?

Nope.. the list of binaries that are generated per each arch is
still relatively small.

The control files grows in 2 directions:

- - the first one is static due to merging the different kernel-image-*
~  into one source, but you still generate the arch specific packages
~  so the others are simply ignored.

- - the second one is slightly more dynamic and it involves the addition
~  of the udebs to the control file at build time, but they are still
arch specific.

So at the end you get nothing more than what you had before, just from the
same source.

If you look at our pool for linux-source, you will see that the
binaries are nothing
more than what was before in the 3 splitted once.

Regards
Fabio

PS if any of the team as a proference for the followup, we can perhaps
avoid to
cross post.

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.