Re: /lib/modules/$KERNEL/build link???

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 08:17:37PM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> I'm trying to build a module who's makefile looks for modpost in
> /lib/modules/`uname -r/build/scripts/modpost

This is in the kernel-kbuild package:

/usr/src/kernel-kbuild-2.6-3/scripts/mod/modpost

at least for the architectures using this scheme, AFAIK all packages
previously maintained by Herbert Xu and the amd64 package.

> So what is *supposed* to happen? Nothing is consistent on 686, amd64,
> and ppc kernels. How is this supposed to work, and what packages should
> I be filing bugs against?

On amd64, the build symlink is provided by the kernel-headers package
corresponding to the installed kernel flavour.

It looks like you have to build a module for every flavour of the arch
if you want to package prebuilt modules, and depend on
kernel-kbuild-2.6-3 and the corresponding kernel-headers-[2.6|$soname]-$arch.

I guess the best thing is to finally start creating a kernel-image-2.6
package building the images from a single source for all
rchitectures not needing additional patches.

Greetings
Frederik Schueler
--
ENOSIG