Re: Any progress on the root filesystem thing?

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:52:05PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any further information on bugs 270321 and 270326?  I installed two
> PReP systems in the last few days, and put the root filesystem on
> /dev/sda3.  After that, both booting with root=/dev/sda3 and with no
> root option at all worked.  Therefore, I am inclined to change the
> option from sda2 to sda3 (leaving *something* in so it is easy to set
> /dev/ram0 for the installer, or something different altogether) and
> close both bug reports.

I still don't understand why you need to put in /dev/ram0 for d-i on prep, but
that it works fine without it on all other powerpc subarches.

I also have some real trouble understanding the need of a default root=
option, since the initrd includes some magic which automatically detects root
filesystem used and uses that when doing the pivot_root in the initrd.

Maybe you should fill a bug report against initrd-tools because this is not
working ?