Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.4.27 as default 2.4 kernel for sarge

dann frazier wrote:
>   Based on discussions on the debian-kernel list[1], I'd like to propose
> that we use 2.4.27 as the 2.4 kernel for all architectures with 2.4 kernels
> in sarge.  The strongest arguments for 2.4.27, as opposed to 2.4.26 were noted
> by tbm [3].

One thing to bear in mind when making this kind of decision it that it
seems to take d-i about 2 weeks to transition to a new kernel once the
deb reaches testing. I see that the amount of testing a kernel has
received was already discussed in the thread at [1], else that would be
my other main point. I think it's up to the RMs whether we can afford
waiting some two weeks or not and whether the possibility that one of
the new kernels will turn out to have showstopper bugs is worth the new
version.

One other point to consider is that a goal of d-i has always been to
release updates to the installer in between major debian releases, and
these updates would likely include new kernels, although how we'd get
the debs into stable for the installer to install is unknown so far.

Also FWIW, Colin and I discussed making a d-i kernel update checklist,
and here's my attempt at that. It's not exactly a trivial process..

 1. New kernel deb enters the archive.
 2. Update linux-kernel-di package to use new kernel.
 3. Compare available modules in new kernel and add any that are useful for
    installation to an appropriate udeb.
 4. Update build/config/ KERNELVERSION to use new kernel (only commit once
    udebs are accepted).
 5. Make sure images still build, as sometimes new kernels will overflow
    floppies, etc. If not go back to step 3 and refactor.
 6. Do initial test installs, which must be done against unstable to
    use the new kernel udebs from unstable or using hand-build CD
    images.
 7. New kernel deb enters testing.
 8. Update rootskel's debian-installer/kernel/image and/or
    debian-installer/kernel/image-2.6 templates to use the version number
    of the new kernel. (Not necessary for all arches.)
 9. Update base-installer's postinst to change any hard-coded kernel
    versions. (Not necessary for all arches.)
10. Update debian-cd's tasks/debian-installer+kernel, tasks/debian-installer,
    and tasks/exclude-sarge for new kernel.
11. Test to make sure 24, 32, and 48 mb installs still work. New kernels
    and added/changed modules sometimes break lowmem.
12. Get new debian-cd uploaded and theoretically into testing. (Never
    done so far.)
13. Get ftp-master to propigate all the updated udebs into testing.
    Until this point, naive users will be unable to use some sid_d-i
    install images as the needed udebs will not be in testing.
14. Full user testing, etc.
15. Get ftp-master to remove kernel udebs for the old kernel version
    from testing. This will *break* some old released install media
    (floppy, netboot, not cdrom), but it's necessary before release.

I'll check this list into svn.

--
see shy jo