Re: piix module in 2.4.27 doesn't work

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:17:02PM +0200, Frédéric BOITEUX wrote:
> Le Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:36:11 +0100, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> a
> écrit :
>
> > * Frédéric BOITEUX <fboiteux@calistel.com> [2004-08-26 11:34]:
> > > Yes, it's a known bug, see #266510 and #266538. It seems to impact
> > > all IDE drivers (all I tested at least !) The bug remains in last
> > > 2.4.27-4 source package...
> >
> > Eww, that's pretty serious.  No IDE DMA means everything is dog
> > slow... I've no idea if this is a kernel bug or something in
> > initrd-tools... however, if we cannot find out, we should go with
> > 2.4.26 for sarge... (hah, getting annoyed about all the .26 vs .27
> > yet?  ;-).
> > --
>
> 	I'm agree with you ! Either you have IDE without DMA, annoying
> to install lot of packages on the hard disk, either you don't see your
> disks,
> much annoying  ;-P !
>   Alas, I'm not a Linux Kernel guru to know if it's a pristine kernel bug or
> related to Debian packaging...

Well, it is not all that difficult. You build a kernel from pristine upstream
sources, if the problem persists, then it is a upstream problem, if not, it is
a debian problem. Building your own kernel, altough not trivial, is far from
being something otherwordly, and the process is well documented all over the
web.