Re: kernel-image 2.4 i386 update

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:37:56AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,

> I still think the meta packages should be created by the current
> source package, and sent a message with my main two points of concern.
> If you feel they are outweighed by the benefits of the separate
> package, go ahead.
>
> > That said, I am comfortable with a single package for all
> > architectures if that is what other people want.
>
> For the time being, I'd rather keep the powerpc meta packages in
> kernel-patch-powerpc.  The main issue being that there is just *one*
> list of flavours now, namely debian/flavours, while a separate source
> package for meta packages would require an identical copy - come to
> think of it, that's a third synchronization issue.
>
> Anyway, the package has a debian/control generator at the end of
> debian/rules that makes it very easy to change the entries for all
> flavours in an identical way (by changing debian/control.stub or
> debian/control-image.m4 and running the command "debian/rules
> debian/control").

BTW, I believe that the only reason this works for you is because you don't
make uploads of older packages. The meta packages are right now provided by
both 2.6.7-5 and 2.6.8-1, and the latest are being used because they where
uploaded last. If you reuploaded a 2.6.7-6 kernel, it would be those holding
the metapackage.

This is also a synchronization issue that could be a mess possibly.