Re: kernel-package Help

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 07:14:04AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > The solution to this is to create a kernel-image-meta or whatever
> > source package, which provides the kernel-image-<arch> and the
> > kernel-image-<arch>-2.[46] packages.
>
> A separate source package raises synchronization issues.  So those
> meta packages should just be removed from older kernel-image source
> packages.

Well, you upload the real packages, and then can upload the meta-package once
you have decided on which package is the default one, and can change it over
time without needing to rebuild two kernel packages, which can take quite some
time and bandwidth, as you probably know.

What were the other synchronization issues you see that could not be solved by
delaying the meta package upload a day or two ?

> > This would be fully independent from the real kernel-image packages,
> > and hold the default kernels per arch for both 2.4 and 2.6 and
> > general.
>
> Do you mean "depend on" when you say "hold" above?

Yeah. I imagine this as a database which is located in the source package, and
which is used to generate the control file. This database would be for all
arches.