Re: New kernel-source-2.6.7 upload ?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:57:16AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 06:53:03AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> >> This will be necessary for major security issues, e.g. CAN-2004-0415,
> >> anyway, so I think we'll be okay. The bit about latest kernel-source
> >> is rather hopeful; if we take this as a precedent for architectures to
> >> update generic kernel-source without updating other architectures'
> >> kernel-images, then quite a bit can be done in the future.
>
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:48:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Not sure i fully follow you here.
>
> There's a major security update pending, so we'll need to upload new
> kernel images for everything in the universe in short order anyway.

Ok. Should i go ahead and ask Jens a kernel-source and kernel-patch-powerpc
rebuild, or wait for the new security update ? Will this new security update
go into 2.6.8 and the release of it is waiting for it ? Should we even be
speaking of that publicly here ?

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 06:53:03AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> >> This would be great. Is it pending in the linux-ppc tree already?
>
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:48:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, the marvell-mm patch is pulled from the -mm tree, and Christoph said it
> > will go upstream. I have no idea what the marvell-pegasos patch status is, i
> > think Christoph will be able to respond better on this one, though i had the
> > impression that he wanted to submit it upstream or something.
> > Both the pegasos and the g4 errata patches should have gone upstream. I posted
> > the pegasos patch on the linuxppc-dev list for review, and it was okeyed by
> > benh, who also said he would submit it (altough directly to Marcello's tree).
> > The same goes for the g4 errata patch, where Nico did a first version, and
> > benh rewrote, and said he would commit.
> > I have no idea what the exact status of those two is though, and i have the
> > feeling that benh has had other stuff in his mind these past days, so maybe he
> > didn't do the commit part of it, not sure. Also, i don't read the bitkeeper
> > commit logs from Marcello's tree, so i cannot check if they where applied or
> > not.
>
> In Linux, no one ever really knows the exact status of their patches.
> Anyhow, this sounds good, and like hch has taken care of getting things
> upstream before I'd even looked once again. =)

Not sure about the marvell-pegasos part of the patch though. We will probably
have another set of those patches later anyway, as Nico merges more of the
changes in his initial driver that was rejected here into the driver that was
accepted.