Re: 2.6.8 release

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:10:41PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, the fact that the kernels are or not part of base (or at least the base
> freeze) is still undecided.
> Also, the main point would be to know if us moving to 2.6.8 from 2.6.7 will
> have any significant influence on the rest of the base system. If 2.6.8 is
> mostly a bugfix release, as it was claimed by Christoph and William, then
> upgrading to 2.6.8 should just be a replacement of the package which would
> have zero influence on the rest of the base system, as opposed to changing a
> base library which would mean lot of incompatibility in other packages.
> Christoph, William, any comment on those.

The 2.6.8 release has been almost exclusively focused on stabilization.
I highly recommend adopting as much of 2.6.8 as possible if not the
whole delta between 2.6.7 and 2.6.8. If not incrementing the version
number after freeze is the primary constraint, I'd literally recommend
just marking the delta to reach virgin 2.6.8 as an add-on patch in the
2.6.7-deb repository while leaving the version number intact.

-- wli