Re: 2.6.8 release

Hi,

Andres Salomon writes:

> There has been some talk on IRC about what kernel to release sarge
> with; some people would prefer 2.6.8 (which hasn't been released
> yet).  If we want to do that, I would suggest getting a jump on
> stuff now by preparing 2.6.8rc2 in svn, naming the package
> kernel-source-2.6.8 2.6.7+2.6.8rc2, tagging and uploading to
> experimental (with associated arch-specific packages uploaded as
> well).

If we want to do this, we must still make sure that the pruned tarball
kernel-source-2.6.8-2.6.8.orig.tar.gz that gets into unstable is the
vanilla tarball linux-2.6.8.tar.gz minus the non-free bits that get
eaten by the prune script.  The above suggestion runs the risk of
getting us stuck with 2.6.8-rc2 as .orig.tar.gz, and then we have to
drag the patch between vanilla 2.6.8-rc2 and 2.6.8 along in the Debian
patch.  Apart from bloating the Debian patch, this leads to breakage
for users applying it themselves to vanilla 2.6.8 (for whatever
reason).

> by the time upstream releases 2.6.8, the packages will (hopefully)
> have made it through NEW; so, we can do uploads of 2.6.8 and have it
> enter sid immediately.  The less time we have to sit around waiting
> for things like this, the better.

I don't think this is an issue at all.  Last time, it took us less
than a week to prepare and upload the first revision, and that
included the transition to split patches.  The packages entered
unstable less than two weeks later.  Here's the precise timeline:

 Jun 15 vanilla 2.6.7 released
 Jun 21 kernel-source-2.6.7 and kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc uploaded
 Jun 24 kernel-source-2.6.7 and kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc uploaded again
 Jun 25 kernel-image-2.6.7-i386 uploaded
 Jul 02 kernel-source-2.6.7 and kernel-image-2.6.7-i386 accepted
 Jul 04 kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc accepted

All in all, I would suggest to just forget this -rc business.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!