Re: Reducing the number of kernels

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> I have 2.4.26 packages, but they are utterly screwed in the
> arch/ppc/boot stuff.

How come?

> I will upload the current stuff to svn, and try to work on the
> issues (or maybe ask for Christoph's help) this weekend.

Actually, I built and tested packages tonight, and they work nicely on
the hardware I have (all PowerMacs, of course).  I checked the source
into svn as kernel-patch-powerpc-2.4.26-2.4.26 and put the packages at

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~jens/kernel-patch-powerpc-2.4

> One idea was to move them to your build system, but i would still
> prefer to have them not modular, since they provide an alternative
> for the subarches which are not happy with the initrd way, and it is
> too late to modify the 2.4 initrd stuff by now anyway,
[...]
> Christoph, Benh, Jens, what do you think about reverting the 2.4
> kernels to use the linuxppc-2.4 tree over the -benh one ?

I think the 2.4 kernels should be feature frozen.  Keep the build
system and the package structure in place.  Leave the config files as
they are and only add drivers that enter through new upstream
releases.  Stay with the same patch and only forward port it.
Optionally, split the patch for clarity and try to get some of the
chunks into mainline.

> we could stay with 2.4.25 for d-i maybe.

Then powerpc would be the only arch requiring a 2.4.25 kernel.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!