Re: 2.6 kernel removals

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:21:12AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:08:38AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> >> Hopefully someone's working on 2.6.7 for alpha, so we can get rid of all
> >> traces of 2.6.[1-6] from sid..

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:58:39PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Not I.  I've heard grumblings about no one being in charge of the alpha
> > builds, and that there was a possible volunteer, but I haven't heard
> > that he's volunteered just yet. :)

> I thought I volunteered and dropped the ball. The boot method I use
> (tftpboot direct form firmware) is such that it's inconvenient for me
> to test packaged kernels. FWIW no architecture-specific changes
> whatsoever were needed for alpha to boot any release >= 2.6.0.

Are you aware that the aboot package now supports building combined
kernel+initrd tftpboot images?  We're using this technique successfully
in d-i since around DebConf.

Basic syntax:

  netabootwrap -k vmlinuz -i initrd.img \
               -a "root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16384 other_kernel_args" \
               -t output_boot.img

In any case, it sounds like nobse has packages prepared at
<http://people.debian.org/~nobse/kernel-image-2.6.7-alpha/>, which I'm
happy to test.  I'm sure other willing testers can be found on the
debian-alpha list (cc:ed).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer