Re: status of 2.6.7 ?

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 06:44:45PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [I am not subscribed to debian-kernel.]
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:06:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:57:12PM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > > * XFree starts treating /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice equally if both
> > >   are listed, i.e. it will work if _either_ of them are accessible
> > >   instead of insiting on the primary one.
> >
> > A huge XFree86 Change probably, i don't know that code so well, so am
> > CCing debian-x for advice.
>
> No, just a bit of (attempted) cleverness in the generated XF86Config-4
> files.

Mmm, i think there is a misunderstanding here (maybe on my part).
Existing XF86Config-4 files will have this "cleverness" like you say
already generated, and thus break if there is no /dev/psaux as core
pointer.

The Huge change i was refering to was to have XFree86 be happy, even if
there is no corepointer detected, or be having more than one core
pointer.

Alternatively, it should (maybe) be possible to have /dev/input/mice be
the corepointer, and /dev/psaux sending core events. The
/dev/input/mice, in my understanding, will be available even if there is
no device attached to it, which is not the case of /dev/psaux.