Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

Hi, Sven Luther wrote:

> This is bullshit. I don't think it is a great idea to modularize the
> kernel, and thus lose all the early debugging. We are going to hurt us if
> we go that way, especially as the boot process is now more fragile as it
> used to be, thanks to the initrd thingy,

The workaround for this problem is to modularize everything that could
possibly break or hang the kernel. Load it after vesafb-or-whatever.
Problem solved.

Bootsplash doesn't need to be in the kernel at all, you just need a
program that loads a picture into the framebuffer. (*Any* framebuffer, not
just vesafb.) IIRC a program which does this already exists..?

I strongly dislike having a jpeg decoder in the kernel, and I also don't
like the idea of appending pictures to the initrd. At all.
The images should be plain files, residing *in* the initrd image.

--
Matthias Urlichs