Re: Dealing with 2.4 bugreports that are fixed in 2.6 only

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:31:52PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> [2004-06-27 17:29]:
> > There's a few reports against 2.4 kernel that are fixed in 2.6 and
> > are unlikely to get in 2.4 every (Examples: #146956 or #130217).
> > How should we deal with them in the BTS?
>
> Is there any chance of those fixes being backported to 2.4 and how
> much work would it be?  It seems that you guys have all given up on
> 2.4 completely, but I'd imagine that the majority of our users will
> still use 2.4 for a while.

Especially as some arches are not ready yet for 2.6. I belive only x86
and powerpc are ready for 2.6 right now, with maybe amd64, but as the
kernel team has against rejected the amd64 patch guys rather brutally,
not sure if it is still relevant.

> This is really related to some other postings in this thread: are we
> ready to move to 2.6 by default?

Yep, but it has not seen much interest yet. I wonder why. I have
forwarded it to aj also, since i really would like to have its opinion
on this, especially with regard to userland.