Re: kernel-patch-amd64

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:14:02PM +0100, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 06:23:21PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Frederik Schueler writes:
> >
> > > Since the debian kernel packages now are being maintained by the
> > > debian-kernel maintainers team, what is going to happen to these
> > > inofficial packages once amd64 will enter sid?
> > >
> > > Do I have to ITP kernel-patch-amd64 and/or kernel-image-amd64?
> >
> > I would suggest that you subscribe to debian-kernel, prepare
> > kernel-patch-amd64-2.6.7 packages based on the example of the other
> > 2.6 kernel-patch packages (right now, this means the powerpc patches,
> > so please let me know if you find a better way of doing it) , and
> > upload them as soon as amd64 enters sid.
>
> Bad idea.  Split the patch and get as much as possible merged upstream.
> Note that large parts are simply "Lindent that file" and they certainly
> should not be mixed with the rest.

And ? Is that incompatible with making a kernel-patch-amd64 package and
building a kernel from it ?

What i really dislike about this politic of submitting stuff upstream,
is that we are going all stupid and rigid about it, and totally loosing
the interest of our users from our minds.

So what if it is a monolitic patch ? The kernel-patch package gets first
prepared, uploaded to svn, and built and uploaded to the archive. Our
users wouldn't care less if the patch is monolitic or lot of small
files, but they do benefit from having an amd64 kernel. Once that is
done, it is easy enough to modify the patch by splitting it or whatever,
and merging stuff into the kernel-source package for later inclusion
into the main packages, but at least there will be a package available
now.

So, don't forget, in the fight between user availablitiy and mostly
cosmetic changes which won'ty be noticed by anyone apart from us, it is
clear where the priority of debian goes, go reread the social contract
if you are not convinced.

And BTW, is the svn server hosed or something ? I am able to refresh the
debian-installer svn repository, but not the kernel one.