Re: Debian kernel maintainter takeover

Adam Majer wrote:
Nathanael Nerode wrote:

Adam Majer wrote:
As to the non-free binary blobs, these are to be moved to non-free. There should be an automatic 'non-free removal patches' (not part of the actual debian source).

To follow the X Strike Force model (which seems to work) I suggest a 'prune-non-free' script, which should be shipped in the debian/ directory of the source package .diff for convenience. This script would convert an upstream source tree to a 'debian-clean' source tree.
I don't think we can do that. The source to the package has to be free. The patches to remove non-free things and put them in non-free need to applied to the vanilla kernel to make a Debian kernel source (orig.tar.gz) and a non-free blob source.

Yes. I'm saying that the script should be included in the source package for the convenience of people who want to build their own versions of the package, and so that it is easy to find. It would not actually be run at package build time (since it would be run *before* the upload of the .orig.tar.gz), but it would be shipped in the source package so that it's easy to find. This is what XFree86 packaging does.