Re: Review request - PowerPC patches

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:58:39PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:00:28PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I oppose this. I will be working with the author to make it
> > upstream-worthy, but please give me one serious reason why it should be
> > kicked out of the powerpc patch set right now ? It may be of lesser
> > quality than it should, but it offers a service to some users that is
> > not possible right now, and also, removing this patch from the powerpc
> > debian kernel would definitively make all the pegasos userbase stop
> > using the debian kernel in facor of a selfbuilt one (or i will probably
> > be building non-debian kernel or something such).
>
> Simply removing exisiting features from the codebase is indeed not a
> good idea because users start to use it and depend on it.  That's why
> I'm so opposed to adding new non-mainline features.

Well, this is a filesystem driver, which is probably never used outside
of the pegasos community, it is built modular, so it should have zero
impact on non pegasos powerpc users.

> > > pegasos.diff
> > >
> > >  Arch/ppc part should go upstream, although upstream told me on irc they
> > >  remember they weren't happy with the last version they got, so it might
> >
> > Upstream being benh, right ?
>
> That happened on irc.  IIRC I got feedback from Ben and Paul.

If it is ok with you, i will be working with the linuxppc guys to get
this upto their norm, and in the mainstream kernels, probably during the month
of June, i hope. That said, it will probably not go in before 2.6.7 is
out, and probably not even then, so it should stay in the powerpc kernel
patch for now.

> > I would like help on the via82cxxx driver issue though, on where exactly
> > i can set the irq. The mention of doing this in arch specific code is a
> > bit obscure to me.
>
> This whole thing is rather obscure and my earlier idea of the irq
> assigment in pci code probably won't work because the IDE code doesn't
> like per-channel irqs.  Maybe post the issue to linux-ide@vger.kernel.org
> and ask for comments?

Ok, i will do this. I mailed the listed author/maintainer of the
via82cxxx driver, but never got an answer.