Re: Review request - PowerPC patches

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:00:28PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> I oppose this. I will be working with the author to make it
> upstream-worthy, but please give me one serious reason why it should be
> kicked out of the powerpc patch set right now ? It may be of lesser
> quality than it should, but it offers a service to some users that is
> not possible right now, and also, removing this patch from the powerpc
> debian kernel would definitively make all the pegasos userbase stop
> using the debian kernel in facor of a selfbuilt one (or i will probably
> be building non-debian kernel or something such).

Simply removing exisiting features from the codebase is indeed not a
good idea because users start to use it and depend on it.  That's why
I'm so opposed to adding new non-mainline features.

> > pegasos.diff
> >
> >  Arch/ppc part should go upstream, although upstream told me on irc they
> >  remember they weren't happy with the last version they got, so it might
>
> Upstream being benh, right ?

That happened on irc.  IIRC I got feedback from Ben and Paul.

> I would like help on the via82cxxx driver issue though, on where exactly
> i can set the irq. The mention of doing this in arch specific code is a
> bit obscure to me.

This whole thing is rather obscure and my earlier idea of the irq
assigment in pci code probably won't work because the IDE code doesn't
like per-channel irqs.  Maybe post the issue to linux-ide@vger.kernel.org
and ask for comments?